Skip to main content

How to make White (Nsala) Soup


 
Hello People,
 
Thanks to all you beautiful people who read my posts, keep reading and be sure to get new twists to your regular dishes.
White soup is called Nsala Soup by the Ibos and Afia Efere by the Efiks. It is one of the simplest Naija soups in terms of time taken in preparation and ingredients used. It also doesn't contain palm oil, hence the name. It is basically made with the stock gotten from boiling your animal protein like beef, chicken etc.
I got to know about this soup during my Uni days. There was this Restaurant that students usually patronized mostly for their White Soup, theirs was the best then. I remember asking one of the waiters for thĂ© recipe, he was kind enough to give me but I never tried it till recently. 
Nsala soup is usually made with uziza leaves, but for this recipe, I used scent leaves I forgot to buy at the market (can't watch), but since I had scent leaves at home, I used it, still came out well.
A plate of White Soup
Ingredients: 
1kg of Beef
1/2kg of Assorted meat (shaki, liver, kidney, cow intestine)
4 Red scotch bonnet pepper (optional) (alternatively, use ground dry chili pepper) *I used both. 
2 Cooking spoons of ground crayfish
Stock Fish
2 Stock cubes
A handful of Scent leaves (Uziza leaves)
Yam Paste: Pounded yam or yam flour (thickener)
Salt to taste
 
Directions:
1. A) Wash, season, boil beef & assorted meat till almost tender.
B) If you choose to use pounded yam, boil the yam in a separate pot till tender, pound using mortar and pestle or a food processor and set aside.
2. Add about 2 cups of water to the stock gotten from "1" above, then add pepper, stock fish, crayfish, stock cubes bring to boil.
 

L-R: Water has been added to stock. Yam paste (Pounded yam )added to soup 
(thickener)
3. Add yam paste (pounded yam/yam flour) in lumps into the soup, close pot and allow to simmer for 10mins then stir. The yams would have dissolved by now. Add your scent leaves, stir, leave for another 3minutes on medium heat. Turn off heat and voilĂ ! 
L-R: Scent leave, Stock fish and chopped liver
Enjoy white soup hot with Pounded Yam, Eba, Semo,Wheat and any other swallow of choice.
 
This recipe was requested by a reader. You too can make a request and I will "deliver" *winks.
 
Kitchen Tips:
*If you use Shaki(Tripe) boil for a while before adding other beef cos its tough and takes longer time to cook.
*For the purpose of this soup, I boil my beef with only onions, red scotch bonnet peppers, and stock cubes.
*If you use yam flour, mix the flour with little water to form a paste, then add to the soup (in "3" above). 
*When using uziza leaves, be careful not to add so much pepper, cos the leave is hot. Also, put uziza same time as yam paste. 
*White soup could get sour quickly, this is cos of the pounded yam added as a thickner, so store in the freezer preferably.

Regards,

Nitie

*Always wash your hands before and after handling food items

Comments

  1. Lovely, would ve a try on dis. Keep up wit d gud work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nitie oo,making progress,nyc!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sandra, lemme know how it goes. Thanks Anonymous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Steamed Eggs

  Hello People,   It's been a while. Sorry I have been MIA. I must say blogging ain't beans man. For me that blogs about food recipes, I have to take pics at every stage of my cooking and this can be very tiring, but for you my dear readers, I will do my best. At this point, I'd like to shout out to bloggers like Linda Ikeji and co who post daily. I'm new to the blogosphere so with time I will "catch up" *winks A plate of steamed egg To the business of the day. If you are tired of eating boiled eggs, and you don't wan go close to fried eggs, then this post will put a smile on your face cos you will have the opportunity to eat eggs. Last Christmas, I made this for the family, and everyone loved it. When I was preparing it, my sis was like "which one is steamed egg again", I winked and kept sealed lips, then she added, "will one egg be sufficient for each person?" I'm like wait and see. When I was done, she kept "wow

How to Make Draw (Ogbono) Soup

Hello People, Ogbono Soup is commonly referred to as Draw Soup, because of its slimy consistency. This soup is made from Ground Ogbono (Wild African Bush Mango) seeds, very common in Naija Markets and African Shops Abroad. Depending on your preference, you could add Ugu (Fluted pumpkin) leaves, Uziza leaves, Okro or even cook without leaves. Some people even add Egusi(melon seeds) to theirs (though i haven't tried this). For me, I prefer using Uziza leaves cos of the aroma and flavor it gives to soups, but for this recipe i used Ugu leaves. I was thought how to make this Soup by my neighbor during my Uni days, Shout Out to Kome, I'm sure she may not even remember this. Kome, hope i make you proud! A Plate of Ogbono Soup Ingredients: - 1 Cup of Ogbono seeds - A handful of Ugu leaves (Shredded) - 3 Cooking spoons of palmoil - 1kg of Beef - 150g of Stock fish - A handful of dry prawns (oporo) (Optional) - A cooking spoon of Crayfish (Grinded) -3 table spoons of g