Skip to main content

How to Make Banga Soup

Hello People,

Hope y'all are doing great.
This post shows how I make my Banga Soup. Banga soup is a popular soup of  the people of Delta State, Nigeria particularly people from the Urhobo tribe. It is made from boiled Palm Kernel nuts, which are then beat in a mortar in order to extract the palm juice.
Married to an Urhobo man, I had to familiarize myself with their dishes, and learn how to make them too. My hubs was sweet enough to teach me how to make it, and yes he beat the palm kernel nuts by himself that day, it was a funny site *hahahahaha, I was so surprised he could do it. Funny enough, when I finally made the Banga Soup, my sister in-law came home, ate it and was like, "who thought you?", when I said it was my hubs, she couldn't believe cos growing up, he disliked kitchen duties. She gave me some "banga soup tips" that I have added to my cooking over time.
Ofe Akwu (ibo banga stew) is similar in preparation to Banga (Urhobo Amiedi) soup but they taste differently. Ofe Akwu is cooked using uziza or scent leaves, while Banga is cooked with dried banga leaves (obeletientien) and this is used sparingly. Also, Ofe Akwu is lighter in consistency and eaten most often with rice unlike Banga soup that's thicker and eaten with Starch, Eba, Pounded yam and other varieties of swallow.

Banga Soup served in Native/Clay Pot (Evwere)
 
The typical Urhobo person will prefer to eat Banga soup in this Native pot (Evwere) as this gives the soup a unique taste, you know how some people prefer eating Jollof Rice cooked with firewood than those cooked using a gas cooker, the difference is always clear.
This clay pot can be found in Naija markets, ask traders who deal on local spices.

Here are the Ingredients used.

- 1.5kg of Palm Kernel Nuts *(mixed:native and agric)
- Banga soup mixed spices (you can buy the diff spices separately then pound to make your own mix)
- Banga leaves (Obeletientien)
- 2.5kg of Meat (Cow tail)
- Stock fish
- Dry fish
- 2 Cksps of ground crayfish
- 3 Tbsp of ground chili pepper
- 2 Stock cubes
- Salt to taste

Directions:
1. Wash, season and boil meat and set aside.
2. Wash palm kernels thoroughly (with plenty of water) to get rid of sand and dirts. Pour into a pot, add water to cover the nuts and boil for 20-25mins or till the flesh is soft



2. In a clean mortar, pour in the boiled kernels in batches and beat till the skin goes off (be careful not to crack the kernel.)
 
 
 3. Pour in 3 litres of hot water into the mortar containing the "beat" kernels. This is done to extract the "juice" from the palm nuts. Stir properly to ensure you get all the juice.
 
 
4. Strain the liquid into a pot and set on high heat to cook down the liquid. After about 20 mins, the liquid begins to thicken.
 
5. Add the mixed spice, don't add so much, I used 1 teaspoon of spice for this quantity, adding too much will make the soup taste bitter. Add all other ingredients including the boiled cowleg, stock fish and dry fish, stir properly. Simmer for about 8-10 mins, then turn off heat

Serve hot with starch, eba or any other swallow of choice.

Kitchen Tips:
*Do not close the pot while boiling the banga liquid as this will cause spills on your cooker
*I used both native and agric palm nuts. Native palm nuts are smaller in size and have a better taste but do not produce enough liquid unlike the agric ones that are bigger, contain more liquid but do not taste as good.

Regards,

Nitie

*Always wash your hands before and after handling food items.

Comments

  1. Yummy, I am craving to have it right now but I can't since I am observing fast. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us, will be having it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please which market can I buy the clay pot in asaba

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make White (Nsala) Soup

  Hello People,   Thanks to all you beautiful people who read my posts, keep reading and be sure to get new twists to your regular dishes. White soup is called Nsala Soup by the Ibos and Afia Efere by the Efiks. It is one of the simplest Naija soups in terms of time taken in preparation and ingredients used. It also doesn't contain palm oil, hence the name. It is basically made with the stock gotten from boiling your animal protein like beef, chicken etc. I got to know about this soup during my Uni days. There was this Restaurant that students usually patronized mostly for their White Soup, theirs was the best then. I remember asking one of the waiters for thé recipe, he was kind enough to give me but I never tried it till recently.  Nsala  soup is usually made with uziza leaves, but for this recipe, I used scent leaves I forgot to buy at the market (can't watch), but since I had scent leaves at home, I used it, still came out well. A plate of White Soup Ingre

How to make Steamed Eggs

  Hello People,   It's been a while. Sorry I have been MIA. I must say blogging ain't beans man. For me that blogs about food recipes, I have to take pics at every stage of my cooking and this can be very tiring, but for you my dear readers, I will do my best. At this point, I'd like to shout out to bloggers like Linda Ikeji and co who post daily. I'm new to the blogosphere so with time I will "catch up" *winks A plate of steamed egg To the business of the day. If you are tired of eating boiled eggs, and you don't wan go close to fried eggs, then this post will put a smile on your face cos you will have the opportunity to eat eggs. Last Christmas, I made this for the family, and everyone loved it. When I was preparing it, my sis was like "which one is steamed egg again", I winked and kept sealed lips, then she added, "will one egg be sufficient for each person?" I'm like wait and see. When I was done, she kept "wow

How to Make Draw (Ogbono) Soup

Hello People, Ogbono Soup is commonly referred to as Draw Soup, because of its slimy consistency. This soup is made from Ground Ogbono (Wild African Bush Mango) seeds, very common in Naija Markets and African Shops Abroad. Depending on your preference, you could add Ugu (Fluted pumpkin) leaves, Uziza leaves, Okro or even cook without leaves. Some people even add Egusi(melon seeds) to theirs (though i haven't tried this). For me, I prefer using Uziza leaves cos of the aroma and flavor it gives to soups, but for this recipe i used Ugu leaves. I was thought how to make this Soup by my neighbor during my Uni days, Shout Out to Kome, I'm sure she may not even remember this. Kome, hope i make you proud! A Plate of Ogbono Soup Ingredients: - 1 Cup of Ogbono seeds - A handful of Ugu leaves (Shredded) - 3 Cooking spoons of palmoil - 1kg of Beef - 150g of Stock fish - A handful of dry prawns (oporo) (Optional) - A cooking spoon of Crayfish (Grinded) -3 table spoons of g