Skip to main content

How to make Unripe Plantain Porridge

Hello People,

I came to know about this dish when my Dad was diagnosed of Diabetes. At that point his doctor told him to cut down on his Carbohydrate intake and advised he eats more of protein and iron rich foods. One of his favorite from the Doctor's advise was Unripe Plantain Porridge (with lots of Ugu leaves) .Then we used to call it Kekefiyayi (this is the name people from Portharcourt and Bayelsa call it). It's a very healthy dish for diabetic patients, pregnant women, nursing mothers, children and even YOU. As a kid I loved this dish cos I always wanted to eat what my Dad was eating, (*Daddy's girl, *tongue out).
This dish can be made with fish, beef, snails or any other protein you like. For this recipe, I made mine with dry fish (Azu Rivers State) *winks.

A plate of Unripe Plantain Porridge

Ingredients:

4 Unripe plantain
2 cooking spoons of crayfish
2 table spoons of palmoil
Medium sized dry fish (smoked fish can be used)
A handful of Dry prawns (Oporo)
A handful of Ugu leaves (flutted pumpkin)
4 Red scotch bonnet pepper (chopped)
Salt to taste

Direction:

1. Peel plantain, wash and cut into small cubes. Put the plantain in a pot, then pour in water to cover the plantain and boil till almost tender.
2. Add your palmoil, pepper, dry prawns, dry fish, salt, stir and allow to simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat.
3. Add Ugu leaves, stir, leave for 2 minutes, then turn off heat.

Serve Hot!


Dry fish


Unripe plantain
Kitchen Tips:
*Boil the unripe plantain till tender before adding ingredients, else cooking time will be longer.

Regards
Nitie

*Always wash your hands before and after handling food items.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Steamed Eggs

  Hello People,   It's been a while. Sorry I have been MIA. I must say blogging ain't beans man. For me that blogs about food recipes, I have to take pics at every stage of my cooking and this can be very tiring, but for you my dear readers, I will do my best. At this point, I'd like to shout out to bloggers like Linda Ikeji and co who post daily. I'm new to the blogosphere so with time I will "catch up" *winks A plate of steamed egg To the business of the day. If you are tired of eating boiled eggs, and you don't wan go close to fried eggs, then this post will put a smile on your face cos you will have the opportunity to eat eggs. Last Christmas, I made this for the family, and everyone loved it. When I was preparing it, my sis was like "which one is steamed egg again", I winked and kept sealed lips, then she added, "will one egg be sufficient for each person?" I'm like wait and see. When I was done, she kept "wow...

Red Velvet Cupcakes

  Hello People, Red Velvet cupcakes with their distinct colour are most cake lovers' favourite. I got to know about red velvet cupcakes from my cousins, most times when there's a celebration in their house, red velvet cupcakes or cakes are present. One distinct feature I noticed, is they are always moist and "fluffy" as compared to other cakes. So, i went around searching for red velvet cake recipes, one thing that surprised me, was that many of the recipes used vegetable oil instead of baking butter. From info gathered and my "small" experience, using vegetable oil gives the cake its fluffiness and the addition of vinegar and buttermilk keeps it moist and light. This bright red & lightly "chocolated" cake gets its colour from the addition of red food colouring or the juice of boiled beetroot (though people hardly use beetroots these days cos it tends to give the cake a different taste) added to the cake batter while mixing.   R...

How to make Gizzdo

Hello People, It's Sunday! Hope you guys were in Church! Remember in the presence of God there's fullness of joy. Many families in Nigeria eat Rice (whether Jollof, Fried or White) on Sundays, my family is no exception. Come to think of it, where did this "norm" originate from??? For me, I try to add some twists to my Sunday rice instead of the "normal rice" cos I'm bored (yawning) already. So today, I decided to make Gizzdo! I know you will be wondering what it is. Gizzdo is short for Gizzard and Dodo [fried plantain] in pepper sauce. A plate of White Rice and Gizzdo Ingredients: - 1 kg of gizzard - 2 ripe plantains - 1 large green pepper - 3 cooking spoons of tomato and pepper purée - Spring onions - Soya oil (you can use any vegetable oil) - A can of sweet corn (optional) - 2 stock cubes - Salt to taste and seasonings  Gizzard (diced)   Fried Plantain(Dodo)  Direction: 1.Season and boil gizzard for 20 mins....