Skip to main content

How to Make Zobo Drink



Hello People,
 I will be sharing how to make Zoborodo drink (Zobo for short). It is a red coloured drink hence I call it "Naija Red Wine" *LOL. It has been proven to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It is a rich source of Vitamin C.This drink is very popular in Nigeria especially the Northern part and enjoyed when served chilled. It is made from dried hibiscus plants. I love to make my Zobo with all natural ingredients instead of using artificial flavours.


A glass of Zobo Drink

Ingredients:
Zobo leaves (Dried Hibiscus Plants)
Water
Granulated Sugar (to taste)
Ginger (Optional) *it gives the zobo that "mmmmm"
1 medium sized Pineapple (including the rind)
Lemon wheel (for décor) *optional
Tools:
Aluminium Pot
Sieve
Knife
Wooden spatula
Direction:
1. Wash Zobo leaves to remove sand and dust in plenty of water.
2. Wash Pineapple, peel and cut into cubes.
*Don't throw the rind (back) away
3. Wash and peel the ginger
4. Place the leaves, pineapple cubes, rind and ginger in a pot, add water and boil for 30 minutes stirring intermittently.
5. Turn off heat, pour the content through a sieve into a big bowl so as to get only the Zobo juice. Add sugar (this will depend on how sweet you want it to taste) stir properly
6. Pour into bottles and refrigerate.
Enjoy when chilled.


Pot containing Zobo leaves, ginger, pineapple cubes & rind


Zobo in bottles (Set to be refrigerated)



Kitchen Tips:
Zobo has a sour taste, so adding sugar to it helps 
It ferments when not refrigerated. So keep refrigerated to preserve its taste


Regards,
Nite

*Always wash your hands before and after handling food items



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Steamed Eggs

  Hello People,   It's been a while. Sorry I have been MIA. I must say blogging ain't beans man. For me that blogs about food recipes, I have to take pics at every stage of my cooking and this can be very tiring, but for you my dear readers, I will do my best. At this point, I'd like to shout out to bloggers like Linda Ikeji and co who post daily. I'm new to the blogosphere so with time I will "catch up" *winks A plate of steamed egg To the business of the day. If you are tired of eating boiled eggs, and you don't wan go close to fried eggs, then this post will put a smile on your face cos you will have the opportunity to eat eggs. Last Christmas, I made this for the family, and everyone loved it. When I was preparing it, my sis was like "which one is steamed egg again", I winked and kept sealed lips, then she added, "will one egg be sufficient for each person?" I'm like wait and see. When I was done, she kept "wow...

Red Velvet Cupcakes

  Hello People, Red Velvet cupcakes with their distinct colour are most cake lovers' favourite. I got to know about red velvet cupcakes from my cousins, most times when there's a celebration in their house, red velvet cupcakes or cakes are present. One distinct feature I noticed, is they are always moist and "fluffy" as compared to other cakes. So, i went around searching for red velvet cake recipes, one thing that surprised me, was that many of the recipes used vegetable oil instead of baking butter. From info gathered and my "small" experience, using vegetable oil gives the cake its fluffiness and the addition of vinegar and buttermilk keeps it moist and light. This bright red & lightly "chocolated" cake gets its colour from the addition of red food colouring or the juice of boiled beetroot (though people hardly use beetroots these days cos it tends to give the cake a different taste) added to the cake batter while mixing.   R...

How to make Gizzdo

Hello People, It's Sunday! Hope you guys were in Church! Remember in the presence of God there's fullness of joy. Many families in Nigeria eat Rice (whether Jollof, Fried or White) on Sundays, my family is no exception. Come to think of it, where did this "norm" originate from??? For me, I try to add some twists to my Sunday rice instead of the "normal rice" cos I'm bored (yawning) already. So today, I decided to make Gizzdo! I know you will be wondering what it is. Gizzdo is short for Gizzard and Dodo [fried plantain] in pepper sauce. A plate of White Rice and Gizzdo Ingredients: - 1 kg of gizzard - 2 ripe plantains - 1 large green pepper - 3 cooking spoons of tomato and pepper purée - Spring onions - Soya oil (you can use any vegetable oil) - A can of sweet corn (optional) - 2 stock cubes - Salt to taste and seasonings  Gizzard (diced)   Fried Plantain(Dodo)  Direction: 1.Season and boil gizzard for 20 mins....