Skip to main content

How to make Crunchy Peppered Snails


Hello People,

Snails! Snails!! Snails!!! How i love thee (*words of a glutton). I love snails alot, especially when crunchy and stir fried in pepper sauce.
Some people say "when you eat snails, you will be slow", i honestly don't believe that cos i have been eating snails since i was a kid, and with all humility, i aint "slow" mehn.
Snails also known as "Congo Meat" (don't know where this name came from) are rich in Protein, though not as much as that in beef or chicken, but compares favourably with sea-foods. They are also high in Iron which is good for women of child bearing age. Snails are said to contain carbohydrate but in little quantity, so good for weight watchers (those on low carb diet).

With this said, to the business of the day;
Ingredients:
25 Medium Sized Snails
Pepper & Tomato purée
1 big onion
1/2 cup of Soya oil (for stir frying) (You can use any oil you have, aside palm oil)
3   Carrots (for garnishing)
1 Large Green Pepper/Capsicum
2 Stock cubes

For Cleaning the Snails:
Alum
Lime
Garri (optional)
Peppered crunchy snails
Tools:
Tray
Aluminium Foil 
Tooth picks
Knife

Direction:
1. Snails come in a shell, remove from the shell, by cracking the shell to unveil the snail meat. 
Scrape the snail skin with a sharp knife to remove the dirts, wash with alum and lime to remove the slime.
Use garri to further take off the slime.
2. Wash in warm water
3. Boil snails with onions, red bell peppers and seasoning for about 20 mins. (Remember, you want your snails crunchy, so don't over cook)
4. Take snails out from the stock (the liquid generated after boiling the snails) and set aside
5. In a sauce pan, heat the Soya Oil till hot,  add onions and stir fry for a minute, add the tomato & pepper purée , stock cube and stir fry for 4 mins. Pour in the snails, stir properly to incorporate, then allow to simmer for 5 minutes. 
6. Scrap your carrots and cut in small circles, wash your green pepper and cut.
7. Get your tray, cover it in aluminium foil. Pass each snail through a tooth pick, add carrot & green pepper at the top & bottom of the tooth pick.
There you have it, Crunchy Peppered Snails, can be eaten as an appetizer, snack or meal.


Snail (with the shell)

*Forgive me please, i forgot to take pictures while washing the snails.

Kitchen Tips:
*Snail intestines can contain decayed materials and toxins, so remove the intestine to avoid falling ill.
* The snail stock can be used as a base in making other dishes so don't discard, keep refrigerated till needed. 

Regards,
 Nitie

 *Always wash your hands before and after handling food items.

Comments

  1. Now am hungry!
    Www.seyonhundeyin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good O..This blog is for everybody. Those of us who can't save our lives with cooking and the rest of us, we could learn something extra.. Good Job Nitie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make White (Nsala) Soup

  Hello People,   Thanks to all you beautiful people who read my posts, keep reading and be sure to get new twists to your regular dishes. White soup is called Nsala Soup by the Ibos and Afia Efere by the Efiks. It is one of the simplest Naija soups in terms of time taken in preparation and ingredients used. It also doesn't contain palm oil, hence the name. It is basically made with the stock gotten from boiling your animal protein like beef, chicken etc. I got to know about this soup during my Uni days. There was this Restaurant that students usually patronized mostly for their White Soup, theirs was the best then. I remember asking one of the waiters for thé recipe, he was kind enough to give me but I never tried it till recently.  Nsala  soup is usually made with uziza leaves, but for this recipe, I used scent leaves I forgot to buy at the market (can't watch), but since I had scent leaves at home, I used it, still came out well. A plate of White Soup Ingre

How to make Steamed Eggs

  Hello People,   It's been a while. Sorry I have been MIA. I must say blogging ain't beans man. For me that blogs about food recipes, I have to take pics at every stage of my cooking and this can be very tiring, but for you my dear readers, I will do my best. At this point, I'd like to shout out to bloggers like Linda Ikeji and co who post daily. I'm new to the blogosphere so with time I will "catch up" *winks A plate of steamed egg To the business of the day. If you are tired of eating boiled eggs, and you don't wan go close to fried eggs, then this post will put a smile on your face cos you will have the opportunity to eat eggs. Last Christmas, I made this for the family, and everyone loved it. When I was preparing it, my sis was like "which one is steamed egg again", I winked and kept sealed lips, then she added, "will one egg be sufficient for each person?" I'm like wait and see. When I was done, she kept "wow

How to Make Draw (Ogbono) Soup

Hello People, Ogbono Soup is commonly referred to as Draw Soup, because of its slimy consistency. This soup is made from Ground Ogbono (Wild African Bush Mango) seeds, very common in Naija Markets and African Shops Abroad. Depending on your preference, you could add Ugu (Fluted pumpkin) leaves, Uziza leaves, Okro or even cook without leaves. Some people even add Egusi(melon seeds) to theirs (though i haven't tried this). For me, I prefer using Uziza leaves cos of the aroma and flavor it gives to soups, but for this recipe i used Ugu leaves. I was thought how to make this Soup by my neighbor during my Uni days, Shout Out to Kome, I'm sure she may not even remember this. Kome, hope i make you proud! A Plate of Ogbono Soup Ingredients: - 1 Cup of Ogbono seeds - A handful of Ugu leaves (Shredded) - 3 Cooking spoons of palmoil - 1kg of Beef - 150g of Stock fish - A handful of dry prawns (oporo) (Optional) - A cooking spoon of Crayfish (Grinded) -3 table spoons of g